Abbe had a conference in Austin last Spring. Do we drive with the camper, or fly? We drove.
Points of interest.
- Southern Wyoming but freezing and snow and beautiful, but no photo’s.
- The Sandhill and Platte river of Nebraska. The Sandhills are a geologic phenomenon to drive through, but tough to photograph. The Platte River had the Sandhill migration. Should be on all birders bucket list.
- The western prairie states, flat, corn, cows, cold and then oil. West Texas brought us more oil wells, dust storms from drilling for oil and gas,
- Big Bend, long drive, beautiful, and worth it but I’d recommend the mountain islands that are not as busy, which BB is, but BB has the Rio Grande.
- Then onto Austin for the conference. Bars and BBQ.
- Chiricahua’s, one of many mountain ranges in Southern Arizona (including Mexico and New Mexico) that are surrounded by desert. A faunal and flora Sky Island.
- North to a place where a meteor hit the earth 50,000 years ago.
- Northwest to the Grand Canyon (another bucket list to raft it with Abbe).
- Northwest to Bryce Canyon, the home.
Too little time, too many miles, too many sites to see.